Having a reliable backup of your important files is a must these days. Data can be deleted, lost or corrupted without notice, and many people have to learn this lesson the hard way before using an online backup service. The only way to be sure your files will not be lost is to choose a reliable backup service that will guarantee the safety, security and availability of your data. Mozy provides such services, and has built a good reputation for themselves over the last few years.
Who is Mozy?
The name Mozy might not be unfamiliar to you as they’re still quite new to the trade. Mozy was established in 2005 however under its parent company, EMC, which is a Fortune 500 corporation specializing in enterprise storage. Mozy offers storage options for both home and business users through a variety of affordable solutions.
Even though the company is still young, Mozy takes pride in having made a name for itself in the industry and for offering valuable services to their users. The GUI is very intuitive and is designed to be straightforward in its operation for inexperienced users.
What services do they offer?
When it comes to reliable and affordable backup services, Mozy has earned its place on the list. They offer home subscriptions for a variety of storage needs with plans ranging from their free 2GB plan to 125GB for $9.99 per month. Mozy business solutions offer storage up to 7.2TB. If you just want to test Mozy out you could go for their free 2GB plan, which can be upgradeable to a 50GB plan for a single computer costing $5.99 or the abovementioned 125GB plan for $9.99 (up to 3 computers).
Is Mozy easy to use?
Getting started with Mozy is quick and easy, and requires no special technical skills. The process includes the following steps:
- Sign up for an account: Simply choose the best option for your needs and start your subscription.
- Download software: Download the Mozy client to your computer and install it.
- Backup your files: You can choose which files to backup individually, or choose entire directories if you wish.
Through Mozy, it is possible to configure and change the settings of your backup parameters through the installed client. You can have the option to configure the bandwidth usage, an important feature those who work on shared networks. It is also possible to set up your own local backup through Mozy. This allows you to store files separately on a local machine to enable you can access without an internet connection.
Mozy offers a wealth of valuable features at a very affordable price. It is very easy to install and can be set up within minutes, even for those who aren’t so tech savvy. Once installed, Mozy will back-up your files automatically. Files are backed up on a daily basis by default, but you can change these settings if you wish to have it done more or less frequently.
The local backup feature Mozy offers, which they refer to as Mozy2x, is a particularly intelligent solution. It essentially copies selected files onto an external hard drive connected to your machine for easy offline retrieval.
Is my data going to be safe with Mozy?
Once your files are properly backed up, Mozy goes to great lengths to keep them safe. Notable safety features include:
- 128-bit SSL Encryption: This is the same type of encryption used by banks to keep your files safe.
- Extra security while in storage: The use of 448-Blowfish encryption while in storage keeps your files out of the reach of even the most skillful hackers.
- Automatic backup: Simply set the backup intervals and Mozy will do the rest. It is truly a ‘set it and forget it’ solution. Preferences can be updated at any time if your needs change.
- Everything is saved, regardless of how small the change: Mozy scans your drive to find even the smallest changes, and will always backup the latest version of your documents.
- Works with Outlook: Mozy backs up Outlook files so all emails and attachments will be saved.
- No redundant backups of updated files: Mozy distinguishes between previously saved files and new ones that need to be saved. Only updated versions are saved, making daily backups quick and efficient.
Mozy’s Primary Strengths
Mozy is easy to configure and comes with a range of options which enable you to backup your files without running into problems or restrictions. It also incorporates a restore feature which allows users to perform massive data restoration on their PCs.
Mozy does its best to provide quality and reliable services to their clients. They have incorporated 128-bit SSL encryption, AES-256 encryption and 448-bit Blowfish encryption, which are on par with similar services in the industry. You could also access your saved files remotely with the Mozy app they have made for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
Features Mozy Can Stand To Improve
In spite of the great features that Mozy offers, it is not the perfect solution. Reviews and feedback from experts and customers alike have shown that the service still has some necessary improvements to make. The file restoration process could use some improving, as it seems to have problems with larger restorations. Mozy could also stand to improve its phone support and customer service, as some customers have commented on the difficulty of getting problems solved in an efficient manner.
So what’s the verdict?
Despite Mozy’s minor shortcomings, they do offer a solid and reliable online backup service for home users and small businesses. I would certainly put them in the top 5 companies offering data backup and restoration. All of the major online backup service providers have some issues to deal with to perfect their products, and we are sure to see steady improvements over time.
The features that Mozy offers are exactly what consumers are looking for in a backup solution, and their pricing is quite reasonable. Additional storage space can be added on to any plan making Mozy more customizable; and overall it stands up quite well to competitors such as Carbonite and SOS.